Tuesday, July 14, 2009

Come vs. Cum - My Take

A recent stroll, a regular one it is, to the Erotica Readers and Writers Association turned up a discussion of using come versus cum in erotica. You can view the original discussion points here. I would like to briefly share my thoughts with my audience.

To me, the word you use when the situation arises depends on your characters, your audience and the market for which your publication is intended. Careful consider of what they all expect and desire as well as what you would prefer illuminates the answer.

In addition to hearing your take, I would also ask this: do you find it acceptable to significantly alter your style and voice to suit publications?

I qualify my answer to this question as only when I feel it is appropriate for marketable writing and creates a piece that I would gladly attribute as my clip. I have boundaries and I won't cross them, but I also have business acumen and won't let personal indiosyncrasies harm my business. To me, it is all about knowing when I need to say no and and when I need to revise my understanding before I revise anything else.

So, what do ye say: cum or come? Maybe neither? And will you alter your style and voice to suit markets?

0 comments:

Post a Comment